Shock World Service 069:
The New Objectivity (Jon Averill)
24/7/17 London, United Kingdom
1. Oxford Street Saxophone Man – Unknown
Part of my listening experience when I 1st moved to London was about how much background noise overtook music on my headphones, i’ve always tried to reflect this back into podcasts.
2. Wagner - Das Rheingold, Vorspiel
Powerful piece of music i’ve never quite been able to get into a podcast, until now!
3. Mark Franklin - Release To The System (Beaumont Hannant Remix)
From Warp’s amazing 1994 compilation Artificial Intelligence 2
4. Delicate Features - Prologue
St Petersburg's Delicate Features. Like listening to an opera backwards, in space!
5. Bruce - Before You Sleep
A cold hammering drumbeat gives way to emotive electronic shimmers.
6. Visible Cloaks & Dip in the Pool – Valve (Revisited)
A crystalline polished soundscape from the Portland duo previously known for the mix; ‘Fairlights, Mallets & Bamboo’
7. Ben Frost - Venter (HTRK Remix)
Understated lo-fi textures from Ben Frost
8. Wyatt/Atzmon/Stephen - The Ghosts Within
The avant-pop legend Robert Wyatt from his collaborative album ‘For the Ghosts Within’.
9. Gora Sou – Choreography
Pristine electronic droplets give way to breathy textures & polyrhythms
10. Aphex Twin - With My Family [48k]
Rare Aphex track that’s not so rare now as he’s just put it up to buy on his new site.
11. Afro-Disiak - Tambours D'Eau
Belgium world music from 1988 just given a fresh release on Optimo Music.
12. Seefeel - Spangle
2nd track from Warp’s Artificial Intelligence 2 compilation.
13. O'Flynn - Desmond's Empire
The mysterious ‘O Flynn’ with one of my favourites so far this year. Ethnographic, emotional house music!
14. Ryuichi Sakamoto - Elephantism Theme (edit)
2002’s oddly titled ‘Elephantism Theme’ winding up this episode.
15. Oxford Street Saxophone Man – Rivers of Babylon [Extract]
Part of the same recording that intro’d the podcast. Recorded on phone on Oxford St last year.